Baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, has been known for centuries as a versatile substance with many different uses.
Baking soda can be found in nature as a part of the mineral Natron, which contains large amounts of sodium bicarbonate. This mineral was used already in ancient times as a cleaning substance.
Baking soda, as we know it today, has been manufactured since 1846 and its popularity soon reached iconic status. Almost every home features a box of sodium bicarbonate. Cheap, safe and simple to use, it became a part of the solution for many ailments and troubles.
Baking soda for colds and flu
In 1924, Dr. Volney S. Cheney published a book called Arm & Hammer Baking Soda Medical Uses, in which he recorded his experience with treating flu. He observed that people who were treated with baking soda either remained healthy or they developed a milder version of the disease.
Dr. Cheney reported giving generous doses of sodium bicarbonate for influenza and in many cases, the symptoms disappeared within 36 hours. He also suggested taking baking soda as a preventive measure.
The general belief is that when taken internally, baking soda helps to maintain the pH balance in your bloodstream. The substance has an alkalizing effect on the body, which is linked to better health and disease prevention. Although it has many supporters, this theory has not been scientifically proven.
If you want to follow the recipe prescribed by Dr. Cheney in 1924 (that is still valid today), here it is:
Taking baking soda is easy, inexpensive, and completely harmless. Simply dissolve the following recommended amounts in a glass of cold water and drink it. The recommendations given back in 1925 were:
– The First Day – Take ½ teaspoon of baking soda every two hours for a total of 6 doses
– The Second Day – Take a ½ teaspoon every two hours for a total of 4 doses
– The Third Day – Take a ½ teaspoon in the morning and again before bed
– After this, take a ½ teaspoon every morning until all symptoms subside, or continue to consume this same amount of protection from further infection.
As always, rather than get the toxic flu shot every year, your best protection from the flu or cold germs is to keep your immune system strong by eating a healthy, plant-based diet. When you take good care of your mind and body, through sleep, nutrition, exercise, and relaxation, you will keep most illnesses out of your life.
- 36Baking soda is a magical product with so many practical uses, such as curing heartburn, cleaning white clothes, and now, new research has found that this wonder ingredient can remove up to 96% of pesticides from fruit and vegetables. A team of researchers at the University of Massachusetts has conducted a…