Falling in love is one of the most incredible experiences, and it often takes you by surprise. It’s unlike anything you’ve ever known, but flash forward a few years (or a few months!) into the relationship and the joy and laughter seems dulled somehow. The problem? You’re falling out of love. It can sneak up on just as quietly as falling in love did in the beginning. How can you tell if your romance is coming to an end? If you’re noticing any number of these signs, the love might be gone and it’s time for you to move on.
1. TALK OF THE FUTURE FADES AWAY. At first, all you can talk about is your future together. You talk about your wedding, where you’ll live, what you’ll name your kids and how you’ll spend retirement together. How often has the future come up lately? Do you find yourself avoiding the topic? It’s a clear indicator your heart isn’t in it anymore.
2. IT’S PAINFUL BEING AROUND OTHER COUPLES. Seeing other couples being so sickeningly happy is like a slap in the face. The two of you were once like that, right? You start to question whether you’re as happy as you should be together. You find yourself avoiding other couples because it’s just too painful. It hurts because you know it’s already over.
3. YOU SAY “I LOVE YOU” LESS. Trying to force the words doesn’t really work. The less you feel them, the less you say them. You might find yourself smiling and changing the subject when he says he loves you. It’s probably one of the more noticeable signs, especially for the other person. Even if you do say it often, pay attention to how you feel when you say it. If it doesn’t feel right, then you’re falling out of love.
4. COMMUNICATION IS LESS FREQUENT. Did you use to talk every day about your jobs, friends, hobbies, etc? Does it seem like TV is far more interesting than conversation? If you don’t live together, do you find yourself texting or calling less? You start to naturally avoid conversation as the love fades. It’s a natural instinct to prepare yourself for the impending breakup.
5. THE RELATIONSHIP IS JUST ANOTHER ROUTINE. You get up, get ready, kiss him goodbye, come home, eat dinner together, watch TV and fall asleep in the same position as every other night. Wash, rinse, repeat. You see the relationship as just another daily routine. There’s nothing to look forward to. You might think you’re just too comfortable, but the problem could be you don’t really love him anymore and find the relationship dull and boring. Love isn’t routine and it shouldn’t feel that way.
6. YOU’D RATHER AVOID INTIMACY. If intimacy happens at all, you try to make it as quick as possible. Even small things like snuggling on the couch or a quick kiss goodbye seem like you’re being smothered.
7. YOU NITPICK EVERYTHING. Your guy probably seemed perfect in the beginning. Sure, you started noticing his flaws over time, but you loved him even more for them. Now, every little thing gets on your nerves. You can’t stand how he wears his hair or that weird sound he makes when laughs too hard. And why can’t he manage to sit down easier? Yes, you get annoyed by everything he does and you’re not afraid to let him know. The love is long gone and you’re well on your way to pushing him out of your life.
8. HEARING “I LOVE YOU” MAKES YOU UNCOMFORTABLE. You probably feel a little guilty or uncomfortable when he tells you he loves you. Why? You don’t really feel the same. The worse you feel when he says it, the more obvious it is the love you once felt is fading away.
9. YOU SEE YOURSELF WITH SOMEONE ELSE. It’s one thing to fantasize, but another to always see yourself with another guy. The majority of your thoughts shouldn’t be of another man when you’re in a relationship. Take this as a sign that you’re no longer in love with your current guy. Respect him and let him go. Your mind and heart have already moved on.
10. IT’S EXHAUSTING TO BE TOGETHER. Relationships take work, but if it’s becoming exhausting just to stay together, it might be time to call it quits. Love helps give you the energy to work through the bad times. If everything feels forced and you don’t have that driving force to help boost you, you are going to feel exhausted every time the two of you are together.
11. YOU’RE INTERESTED IN ANYTHING BUT HIM. Your friends, hobbies, family, pets or that incredible new chocolate covered fruit you just found are all far more interesting than him. You daydream about other things when he’s around and always seem to have plans for when you should be with him. Why isn’t he interesting anymore? You simply don’t care anymore.
12. TRUST IS A THING OF THE PAST. As you fall out of love, you might stop trusting him as well. After all, you feel like you’re lying to him by staying. If you no longer trust him, the love is dying too. It’s time to find someone you do trust.
13. YOU SEE HIM AS MORE OF A FRIEND. Even if you don’t love him anymore, you might still care about him as a friend. You’ll find yourself treating him like a friend instead of a boyfriend. You’d rather hang out and talk than slip between the sheets and cuddle afterward. The love’s gone, but you’re hoping to save the friendship.
14. YOU DON’T CARE ABOUT FIXING PROBLEMS. Odds are, you’ve noticed the increasing number of problems in the relationship. When the love fades, the problems multiply. He might want to try to fix things, but you’re not interested. You couldn’t care less what happens. In fact, you’d be happier if things just fell apart. It’d save you the trouble of breaking up with him.
15. YOUR IDEAL FUTURE DOESN’T INCLUDE HIM. Once upon a time, your future was his and vice versa. Now, he doesn’t even make a guest appearance in your ideal future. You see yourself living your dreams, but he’s nowhere to be seen. If you were in love, you’d find a place for him. Since there’s no love, you’ve already removed him from your future.
16. YOU STAY FOR OTHER REASONS. The only reasons you stay with him have nothing to do with love. Maybe you have kids together or you can’t afford a place of your own. In your mind, you’re sticking around until the situation changes. If love isn’t one of the main reasons you stay with him, then you’re definitely falling out love.
17. YOU NOTICE YOU ALWAYS HURT HIS FEELINGS. You don’t mean to, but you’re always hurting him. Maybe he said he loved you and you just hugged him. Perhaps he made special plans and you canceled to be with your friends. You care less and less about his needs and as a result, you hurt him. You see the signs. Use that as a sign you don’t love him anymore.
Falling out of love isn’t fun, but it’s easy to notice. Do what’s best for both of you and end the relationship. It’s the only right way to handle it.